Friday, September 25, 2009

Stranded at the Reichstag





On the way to the next museum on my list, I was feeling really smug about getting around in Berlin, when the bus stopped in front of the Reichstag - home of Germany's Parliament. The driver made a long announcement which of course I didn't understand, and most of the people on the bus (a big double-decker) got off. So I did too. I had noticed a lot of film crew trailers around; I walked up to the Brandenburg Gate, which looked like it was getting set up for a concert. Still not getting it, I saw they were blocking streets and barely letting any traffic, even busses through. Finally I find the bus to take me back to the station, which then gets stopped for a long time for a whole lot of police, mounted police, and finally a motorcade around a big black Mercedes, which slips into Bellevue Palace, which is the residence of the German president. (The flag flying indicates the president is in residence. I don't think those dogs are there for exercise) The blockades, platforms and film crews? Sunday is election day. Angela Merkel (who is exactly my age) is supposed to be the clear winner. Moral? Always scope out local events. The Berlin Marathon messed up everyone else last week.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment